Sunday, February 15, 2009

Wonderful Treasures!

I need to get into the habit of cleaning my studio more often! I had let my studio go beyond the point that I was willing to share a picture of.... There was no usable floor space and my work bench had about 6 square inches of space on it, it was bad so I spent a full day reorganizing and cleaning up a few weeks ago.
While I was in there I found this fantastic stamp box that I forgotten I had! This is one of the few things I kept from my Dad's pile of art things when he passed away a few years ago. I brought it home, put it in a corner and forgot all about it. I would guess he picked it up yard saling as it was one of his favorite things to do. The inside says "-suggestion makes sales- the aristocrat sign marker- an up-to-date outfit for printing window and show cards, price tickets, streamers, bulletins, etc, etc, operation simple and rapid, results attractive. Sold by Russell J Hogg. Chicago".
The whole kit is in a wooden box that contains complete set of upper and lower case letters, two sets of complete numbers, two sizes of dollar and cents stamps, some punctuation stamps, and two arrows. I don't think it's complete but it's complete enough for me. There are two wooden ink pads that show use, some cotton padding, and several used charcol pencils that read "No. 365 1/2 Made in USA Dixons very soft" the two flower and leaf drawings in the top of the box look like they were made from rubbing the stamps with the charcol and coloring around with colored pencil. Sadly I don't have the flower or leaf stamps but the vine is in the box.
The grey box is full of thin metalic letters and numbers that snap together for clean straight lines. I don't think it was part of the kit originally but like the stamps you can tell it was used.

My other fantastic treasure is my valentines gift from my wonderful husband, he got me a mini camcorder that is kinda like a flip, but mac compatable! I haven't actually tried it out yet other than recording my husband being goofy, and he'd kill me if I shared that. Hopefully I'll be sharing video with you more often. This weekend I've done lots of crafting but no book binding. I'm working on two pairs of wrist warmers at the moment. I made the pattern off my own hands and the first pair I didn't quite leave enough seam allowance for so I redrew the pattern and tried again. I don't have the second pair sewn up so I'll let you know how it goes once I'm finished. I also have my exchange book for my local book arts group completed. I'll share that next post, too many pictures for one post!

2 comments:

Büchertiger said...

Indeed wonderful treasures! I envy you for the stamp and stencil set - it looks beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Oh what a wonderful stamp set, if the stamps are showing signs of damage you can get stamp conditioning cleaners. Let me know if you need any advice with them. Stamps are my specialty :)

Have fun with your camera, one word of warning making vids is very addictive :) but lots of fun too. Can't wait to see your videos.

Billie :)